1. I used the 24 pack of Portfolio brand oil pastels as they provide the soft covering needed for scratching away layers of color. Begin by covering your paper with a layer of yellow pastel.
2. This project is meant to simulate the look of THIS Renoir painting, so a simple side view of a dancing woman with her arm extended is drawn next in pastel as shown.
3. An old fashioned man is added next, still in pastel and colored heavily and filled in with more pastel.
4. The area around the couple is filled in with another pastel color.
5. A wooden stylus is used to scratch away areas that might reflect light on a sunny day. Details on the dress, the man's hat and more are all possibilities.